Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vickylou
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II (non-OS) and Tamron 70-300 USD VC
Oct 18, 2012

I visited a local shop and tired out a new tamron and a canon 70-200 F4L (non-IS) used. I really liked the handling of the canon and the fact that it is a constant F4. i will mainly be using this lens outdoors but don't want to limited to outdoors. I like to shoot candids/portriats of my 3 year old, my husband playing football and some wildlife. The problem with the canon was the lack of is outdoors in good light this wont be a problem but indoors I found even at iso 800 I was only getting 1/50-1/100 and noticable camera shake in the shots I took. I kno technique is important and will improve but with the tamron at similar iso with the VC I was getting in focus shots even though it is a slower lens I was amazed at what the VC allowed me to hand hold.

I have just seen a used sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II (non-os) used for sale and wondered how it compared the 2.8 would give me faster shutter speed indoors to help combat camera shake but it looks like a heavy lens. Outdoors it would give a shallow DOF for candids. How is the AF speed/accuracy? Sharpness wide open? Contrast/IQ/CA?

I understand Is/VC/OS is not good for movement  but for candids or wildlife when I need to be steadier it would help. I cannot afford even used the IS/OS version of the canon or sigma or I would have little decision to make.

vickylou's gear list:vickylou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon EOS 60D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow