Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CMurdock
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?
DPR is limiting availability of SD1 sample images
Oct 18, 2012

We all know about DPR's image-quality comparison applet.  It's the one where you can load images from 4 cameras and compare them directly.  Well, in order to compare the images from the SD1 with other cameras, you have to go to the SD1 review.  If you go to any other review and use the applet, you cannot call up the images from the SD1.  I wrote to them and asked them why, and I got this reply from Barnaby Britton:

"Hi, thanks for your email. Because of the complexity of the SD1, and its
unique image quality results and requirements, we decided to restrict the
availability of the SD1's studio comparison shots to the full review of
that camera. The reason we did this is so that you always see the SD1's
images in context, alongside our analysis of the camera's performance.
This is particularly important when showing the raw images, since our
workflow for converting the SD1's Raw files was (necessarily) very
different to the way we normally present Raw images.

So, if you want to see the SD1 alongside the X Pro-1, you can - you just
have to go to the SD1 review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd1/17

At which point you can bring up whatever camera you like to compare it
against.

bb"

Frankly, that makes no sense to me.  Just because there are technological differences between Foveon and Bayer images, I don't see why the availability of these images have to be restricted.  Also, the fact that Sigma images have to be converted in Sigma Photo Pro is neither here nor there, as far as comparisons with other cameras are concerned.  Regardless of how images are arrived at, one should be able to make comparisons without having to know the whole Foveon story.

By restricting the availability of the sample images, DPR is essentially consigning the SD1 to the dust bin.  Most readers won't even know that the camera exists or that the camera was reviewed if they don't see it on the list of cameras in the comparison applet.  To me, this appears to be a kind of favoritism for the standard brands, or some kind of prejudice against Sigma.  If the SD1 were in the list of available cameras within the applet, other readers might end up adding it to their comparisons, and they would see just how sharp Foveon images are (that becomes evident especially if you look at the engraved face and the white-on-red text).

It is a huge inconvenience to have to go back to the SD1 review in order to make my comparisons for every new camera that DPR reviews.  For those who have an interest in the SD1, they're causing their readers work and time.  I hope that other people on this forum will write to DPR to express their unhappiness.

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow