Can we say DP review did a terrible disservice to Fuji ?

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 809
Like?
Can we say DP review did a terrible disservice to Fuji ?
Oct 18, 2012

Hi!

Contrary to the trend, I decided for fewer mp and bought a Fuji S3 

I just wanted to say hi to the Fuji Forum, and I don't care it's only 6 mp.

In this day and age, we normally forget some important considerations:

- most will agree 6mp is about equal to 35mm film in resolution (and with less noise/grain as a bonus).

So many powerful shots were made using 35mm film, for 100 years.  By definition, that ensures 6mp is plenty, and enough for many uses.

- I don't ever crop in post. I only shoot fashion, and have all the time and FL to compose while shooting.

- Number of pixels means very little, actually. What matters is lighting, composition, content.

Content can be on a message the picture evokes, or a esthetically gorgeous lighting and composition.

If it's all there, your shot will be powerful, no matter if it's 6 or 60 mp.

Before I end my post, I have a message for DP review.  Hey, DP review, you've made a terrible disservice to Fuji at that time, don't you think?

A DISSERVICE.

I've always heard of the Super CCD's huge DR, but could actually find very little proof of its real performance.

DP review is more concerned at telling you it's not a real 12mp camera, than saying it out loud how HUGE the DR really is.

I mean, wow, there's what, 2 or 3 raw-converted images in the gallery vs 30 in-camera jpegs! You can't show that monster DR with in-camera jpegs.

I've spent many years believing Fuji's acclaimed DR was some sort of gimmick or exageration from Fuji's fanboys.

Maybe I'm 8 years too late in the party.

Fuji folks already know this like backwards by now... but hey, we, users of Canikon, didn't know this !

I just gathered the precise info about Fuji's highlight headroom these days, when I decided to buy it, and was shocked how impressive it really is.

Imagine a mildly over exposed shot. (from ETTR technique)

From my experience with some cameras, you should expect to recover (in ACR):

Nikon D200:           0.8 stop

Hasselblad H31:      1.4 stop

22mp Leaf Aptus:   1.4 stop

Nikon D700:           2.0 stops

Fuji S3 / S5:           3.5 stops or more.

Please note, above info are not scientific values, but it goes something like this.

The sad thing is:  Fuji quit the Super CCD design, in order to compete in the mainstream sensor race.

Imagine a Full Frame Super CCD, with 20 (real) mp, and today's technology (15 stops+ of DR).

One is allowed to dream...

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow