IS THE WIND FILTER ON AN S110 REALLY AGC?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
vidrazor
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Re: IS THE WIND FILTER ON AN S110 REALLY AGC?
In reply to vidrazor, Oct 18, 2012

Well, it appears there IS an AGC *AND* a high-pass filter on the S110. Here are some 2D and spectral views of white noise at roughly 90-100 dB, with the camera 3 ft from the sound source, recorded with the wind filter off, then on. First is 2D of filter off:

Notice the initial overload when the white noise signal is started, followed by a rapid reduction, and then gradual rise to an average median level. Now here is a 2D of the signal with the wind filter on:

Again you can see the AGC at work, but the wind filter seems to create nonlinear amplitude response for some reason. Looking at the spectral content, it appears to create ~18 dB drop below approximately 300-500hz, as well as roll-off above 20k:

And here it is with the filter on:

I'm curious as to how my Fuji E900 would've handle the SPL that overloaded the S110. I think the E900s AGC is more robust than the S110, but I'd have to try it out in the same environment to confirm it.

So essentially I've answered my own question. The wind filter is a band-pass only filter, *AND* AGC is constantly present. There is no off setting for AGC. I never would've known it was there if it weren't for these tests, for it's effect is rather subtle in the real-life footage I've done so far, besides the one event that overloaded it. So I guess if anyone else was curious, well, now you know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow