Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
When m43 is not good enough and FF is needed
Oct 18, 2012

I came to the realization that there are 'situations' where my EM-5 with 75mm / 45mm /25mm may not be able to give the sort of picture I wanted.  And its all the wrong reasons people have being arguing about.

I always thought that I could use a sharp prime lens wide open anywhere and anytime without consequence to image quality...but I found out wrong.

Shooting Portraiture in broad daylight trying to get a minimum DOF.  To get the DOF needed, you have to use the lens wide open.  The sharpness is not the problem, the aperture is.  As I experienced recently, even when using a ND filter and shooting, I got strong purple fringing because as some have described to me the strong light going into the wide open lens wrecks havoc to the image quality (inner reflections?)

I don't know if pulling aperture to f2.8 would have helped on the purple fringing issue whilst still keeping a good DOF, but have to admit under the above condition, the FF cameras are really needed to help achieve the sort of DOF (f4 would do?).

It doesn't help that the EM-5 (and the GH3) have a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 only and no ISO 100.

On the contrary, lower light conditions are exactly the conditions where the EM-5 may excel and be comparable with FF where needed.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow