Veteran MemberPosts: 9,994Gear list
Like?
Re: I am going to presume that you are an adult in age at least
In reply to DerStig, Oct 18, 2012

DerStig wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

DerStig wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

I received the following alert from Amazon after 7 months of waiting: Your Amazon Alerts Availability Alert
We're happy to let you know that the item you requested is now available to order from Amazon.com.
Camera & PhotoCanon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens
Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Beach Camera.Price: $2,699.00

I believe in free enterprise and I know there is nothing inherently wrong with this pricing but still doesn't stop me from being disappointed. I mean, $2299 is still the going street price right? I've been out of town the past week and I am not fully up on my DPR & Canon Rumors reading.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

It is just a lens, I don't see what the big deal is. Do you have to have it right away? Just wait 1-2 more months and don't be like a lot of impulse buyers out there who make companies like beach camera rich. An average customer that a wedding photographer deals with (and I mean 99% of them), won't be able to tell the difference between this zoom lens shot at a FL vs. the old one or vs. one of the prime lenses. And this is relevant only if you actually get paid for photography. I'm sure you have some other lens that you can use in the meantime.

Most adults do not presume to give unsolicited life advice to other adults. But, it's one of the worst characteristics of this forum. Seems to draw the most immature folks on the 'net.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

I'm sorry, I know my comment is one that'd annoy a lot of photographers, but you do know I'm right. Your eyes might be able to tell the difference between a $3,000 zoom lens and a $1,500 one, but the people who attend the events that you shoot will most likely not be as picky. All I'm saying is, the difference between the old version and the new version is not so drastic that you'd get ripped off by paying a 30-40% premium on an already over-priced lens. And even if you have to have the greatest lens, Canon offers a wide range of primes that will cover the FL for the same price. You can buy a 24L II and a 50L and be done with it and sell them in 2 months time and grab the 24-70 II when the price goes back to normal.

You seem very confused. About me, about the lens, about the contents of this thread and about the events that have transpired since the thread started. I am happy as a lark now.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow