Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Like?
I have a D700, bought a D600 a few weeks ago ...
In reply to KOsterman, Oct 18, 2012

Let me just say the sensor in the 600 is clearly a step up; resolution obviously, but also better noise handling, and particularly, for what I do (property photography), higher dynamic range.

But do I think you made a mistake getting a mint 700 for $1600 - not at all.

First of all the D700 sensor and the files that come from it are still the same great thing they have been right from the start ... and in a number of ways the 700 is still a better camera - the finder is a little bigger, and just a little brighter.  The 700 focus system tracks better, and with the grip, the 700 shoots at 8 fps, and the 51 point coverage is more effective than the crowded 39 point setup in the 600. And the ergonomics of the 700 are just great.

Can you pull up shadow detail in 700 files - sure, and by a lot. Remember, when that camera (and the D3) first appeared, it too was a dynamic range breakthrough, and it is still a really terrific sensor by any standard.  I have decided after a few weeks of shooting the D600, that it really has a better JPG engine.  The tone curves in the 700 have always been quite steep ...  the 700 is really a RAW shooters body, and the 700 NEFs really respond terrifically in post ...

I bought a 600 for price, and the great sensor - and because I can keep my 700 and don't have to give up it's better attributes.  I really don't get, in some cases, 700 owners who are selling it and picking up a 600 - that, to me, is a sideways step ...

Fred

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow