Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HRonen
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-Nostalgia in the Loop
Oct 18, 2012

Yesterday I took my recent archeological find, the 105mm f/2.5 AI Nikkor, for a spin in the Loop. It  was a nostalgic trip, carrying me back to the mid seventies, the time I was studying photography, having that lens on an F2S body, walking and visually exploring the streets of Chicago.

The D200 accepted willingly the 36 years old lens though it gave the apertures a single digit read from 0 (for f/2.5) to 8 (for f/22). The correct apertures or their equivalent number was never recorded by the camera and its Exif data shows an f/0.0 for all images.

The light meter seemed more sensitive than usual, dancing back and forth but the unchanging light conditions (constant cloud cover) cut down on the need to hunt for a proper exposure. ISO was set to 200 and most shots were taken with a shutter speed of plus/minus 1/100 with apertures ranging from f/2.8 to f/8 (camera showing in the viewfinder 1 to 4).

Focus was a delight with a good feel and a precise operation. I never missed the VR nor the AF of my 105mm f/2.8 Micro and appreciated the much lighter weight of the lens. I just wished that I could get closer than 1 meter with it.

Here are few images from yesterday:

In the Loop

Fountain's repose

Signature

Outside the Church

Tree hugger

No kidding

I found the lens sharp but not as 'crispy' as the Micro, giving it more of an analog flavour of film imagery. The colors, contrast and bokeh are very good and there is no sign of distortions. I am definitely planning to use the f/2.5 on a regular basis.

Regards,

Haim

HRonen's gear list:HRonen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow