How well does an Olympus E-620 compare to an Olympus E-3?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Questions thread
kendrab
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: How well does an Olympus E-620 compare to an Olympus E-3?
In reply to MLYL, Oct 17, 2012

I am going to examine things from a different direction. Rather than comparing the Olympus E-620 to the pro level E-3, I will compare it to my current E-510. When I do, I see that:

1) the E-620 has an upgraded 12.3 MP sensor (more pixels is a good thing)

2) it has slightly improved high ISO performance (at least 800 ISO still looks good, and 1600 in a pinch is tolerable)

3) it offers more choices in ISO setting between ISO 100 and ISO 800 (so I don't have too back things off too far in one step)

4) has a significantly upgraded auto-focus system with facial recognition (I doubt the facial recognition will do much with the type of photography I am interested in, but it IS an upgrade)

5) has an articulating LCD screen (that will make taking some photographs a lot easier)

6) has a more advanced three level image stabilization system (I am sure it helps a bit)

The E-620 is clearly a decent step up from my current camera, and it fits in my revised budget. Furthermore, I can sell my older E-510 with 14-42mm kit lens and spare battery to a friend for $150, so my upgrade cost will only be $300. Are the new improvements worth $300? I would have to say yes.

I just made the call, and my local camera store has set the camera kit aside for me (I got the last one).

Thanks for everyones input.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow