Current i7 iMac or older Mac Pro purchase?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
motion
Contributing MemberPosts: 692
Like?
Current i7 iMac or older Mac Pro purchase?
Oct 17, 2012

How does a current i7 2.8 GHz four core iMac compare to buying an older, second-hand Mac Pro? Which Mac Pro machines are still decent for photography (Lightroom, general/medium demanding Photoshop editing) and saves a few bucks?

I initially had my eyes on a 21.5" iMac with the above BTO specs, hopefully also with an SSD. But with Apple's asking price for the latter (and the risk of messing up the warranty if I install one myself -not an easy task I understand) I've been rethinking and considered getting an external SSD instead. Then there are rumors of an iMac update in the near future which according to some people means no possibility of upgrading at all (no user-upgrading of RAM and no possibility of taking it apart without damaging the computer), no longer a built-in Superdrive and at a higher price to boot. If all this is correct I'd better act fast if I want the current iMac.

A Mac Pro would allow me to upgrade the RAM as needed, insert after-market SSD drives and allow me to keep the Superdrive. I also wouldn't have to settle for a glossy screen as with the iMac. But it would have to perform as well or better than the iMac of course.

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow