Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS on 7D

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sean Clark
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Re: Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS on 7D
In reply to Flying Fish, Oct 17, 2012

Flying Fish wrote:

I don't understand how or why the IQ would be better on a FF camera except for any IQ advantage of the camera's sensor.

The pixel density is higher on the 7D, so it demands more of the (central part of the) lens.

That said, I've had both the non-is and the IS II. The sharpness is very close. I prefer the zoom/focus ring positions on the non-is. I find the IS II has a balance point too far from the focus ring to comfortably tweak focus, so my wrist is torqued if I keep a finger on the focus ring.
The IS lenses are weather sealed, which is nice. The IS in the II version is amazing for hand held following fast motion, an area where a mono-pod is less helpful.

Still, the non-IS lens is great and very sharp. Contrast and color are also first rate. You're in for a pleasant surprise there. I first used it with a 1D mark II, where it's focus speed is magical. Canon seems to drive the focus slower on it's crop bodies, but it's still a quick performer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow