Should I move from DX (D90) to full frame?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Alperin
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Should I move from DX (D90) to full frame?
Oct 17, 2012

I posted this on the DX Nikon thread and got several responses to the effect that I should probably stay with DX since the image quality differential isn't as great as I might have supposed.  What is the perspective of those on this forum who, presumably, shoot FX much of the time?

=================

I've enjoyed using the D90 (and the D70 before that) for travel photography, birds/wildlife, and general walk-around usage.  I prefer using available light, but hate the noise that is introduced with ISO above 800 or so.  I also wish that more of my shots were in tack-sharp focus.

Should I be considering a move to a full-frame body, probably the D600?  I'm assuming that I'd be happier with the low light performance and that the greater number of AF points would help me deliver sharper images.  (I'm sure improved technique would help, too.)  Is that enough to offset the "loss" of reach for wildlife use given that I won't have the 1.5x multiplier working for me when shooting telephoto?  Or am I not really losing any "extra" reach with a DX since a D600 image could be cropped to the same perspective (and with approximately the same resolution since it starts with an image which is twice as large)?

At the moment I have only two lenses, an 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 DX (the kit lens from the D70) and a 70-200mm f2.8, plus a 1.7 tele-extender.  If I moved to the D90, I'd need a "normal" FX zoom, so I was considering the 24-70 f2.8 or 24-85mm VR.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

==============

Jeff Alperin's gear list:Jeff Alperin's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +2 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow