Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,931Gear list
Like?
Some comments on the FZ200 on a trip
Oct 17, 2012

We just got back from a trip to the Galapagos Islands.  A wondrous place and photo ops abound.  I took my FZ200, and my Canon SX230HS, my wife's A710IS, and the Canon S90.  About 80% of the shots were with the FZ200.  And therein lies the tale.  We did the same trip on the same boat in October, 2008, and most of my shots on that trip were taken with a Canon S5IS.

The FZ200 was a joy to use with its high resolution EVF, lots of controls, and the wide range of the lens.  The downside, however, was a significantly lower yield of printable shots, as compared to the lowly S5IS.  In fact, compared to the excellent results from a whale watching trip with the FZ150, the FZ150 yield would have been significantly higher.  The problem seems to be sluggish or inaccurate AF at longer focal lengths; but it wasn't consistent.  Some very long shots of the dorsal fin of an orca are quite sharp when I zoom in; while some closer shots of seabirds are fuzzy.  I really wish I had taken the FZ150 instead.

Despite the poor yield, I have enough good shots for a nice album.  But I am very conflicted about the FZ200 on future trips.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot S90 Casio Exilim EX-S5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow