G1 X Review at The Digital Picture

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: G1 X Review at The Digital Picture
In reply to panamforeman, Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for the response.  I'd tell you what opinions are like, but suffice it to say that I'm aware everyone has one.  I wasn't trying to push my opinion despite arguing with people like Marco who use strong language to push their's, but when I am presented with supporting statements that are misleading or incorrect I feel justified in offering a correction.

Marco painted me as the harbinger of JPEG death, yet I've admitted more than once that I too shoot JPEG and RAW simultaneously.  Your statement about JPEG being the harder format to edit was the entire point of my discussion.  It's not impossible and I don't think it's necessarily very hard to make subtle adjustements, but when you're making bread it's a lot easier to get it into the shape you like while it's still dough.  Marco compared a raw steak and a cooked steak saying that a trained chef could do better than the poor self-taught cook at home.  In my RAW editing kitchen is access to seasoned experts and a plethora of tools.  It may take time to figure out how to really do things well, but one has the option to start with the JPEG settings and tweak, experiment, and more importantly learn.

I'm not surprised others can't tell the difference.  Making small prints won't always reveal the subtleties, and tweaking a photograph that isn't presenting a challenging exposure situation, achallenging subject with fine details, or maybe not utilizing camera settings (like higher ISO) that would force the camera to make much larger changes while processing the JPEG (noise reduction smearing detail) may not be the best contrast between two different processing techniques.  Situations where lighting is well controlled as well as the subject will usually need less post processing.  Even then, should one want fine control over how detail is shapened, noise reduced, white balance set, or the abillity to reveal highlights the camera may not have preserved perfectly then RAW will give you that option with maximum flexibility one can have.

What if you accidentally have the white balance set incorrectly?  What if an unexpected opportunity presents itself?  What if you choose a "vivid" tone and contrast setting and later desire a more neutral reproduction?  Perfection at the point of capture is a tricky prospect and one nobody should use as a requirement for every photographer on every shot.  If those things don't concern you, and they certainly don't concern everyone or any two people to same extent, then you're easier to please or simply happy with what your camera is doing.  More power to you.  A great photograph has many elements, and being a great post processor of RAW may not be even remotely important to the type of photography one does.  But it sure doesn't hurt. 

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow