Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?
In reply to tomnorth, Oct 17, 2012

Hey Bruno,

I came from the owning the Canon 5D Mark II and Mark III, both prosumer full frame cameras; but I have always had a fondness for Nikon images. While the D800 seems to have superior resolution w/ resolving detail, it requires a lot of adjustment/shot discipline to take advantage of that massive sensor...from what I've heard. As exciting as the D800 is, in all honesty, I think it's overkill for my needs. I'm not a pro, and I rarely print anything. Additionally, I have a two year old son, and I'm not so sure the D800 would be that kind of grab'n'go camera. While the D600 may fit some of that criteria, i don't like the ergonomics, and it feels semi cheapy to me. To be fair, I've never held a D700 in my life, but I'm assuming it has that nice heft that I enjoyed with the 5D Mark III.

I figured having come from full-frame, the D700 would be a wise choice, as the real investment is in the 70-200mm VR II, that will go with me, to whatever body I move to. Plus the D700 is well respected camera that will be less revealing of my limited hand holding technique. It's a good place for me to start, and maybe i'll build up my talent and discipline and move to a D800. Who knows, but for now, I think the D700 is plenty. I hope it comes soon, it hasn't even shipped yet

Bruno3 wrote:

Hi Rumi !

What a funny circumstance, I am a new member of the dpreview and, I entered the forum in order to ask the same questions as you just had, the only difference between us is that, I haven't purchased the D700 model yet, but seriously consider the move. I have question to members who are experienced photographers, especially Nikon owners. What should I do then...? I have never owned a high class , full frame camera like D700 or D800. I recently visited a local photo shop and had a close look and touch on D600, D700, and D800, and must honestly say that the highest number impressed me most in therms of handling, the grip and size of the body (slightly thicker) and significantly lighter than its predecessor. Still, I am not much into video, that feature on D800 is not important to me, also the price difference makes sense, since I could purchase for the difference a good quality lens. All in one, is it worth in my situation pay over thousend dollars more for the advanced technology, which also will require more investment in new generation laptop and other accessories ? Besides the body handling advantage, I also enjoy the two slots for SD and CF cards, but is that enough to pay so much more, especially if I am only an amateur photographer.

The 36.3 Megapixels count is good for professionals and those who really have had enough experience with high end cameras, possibly users of D700.

My plan is to purchase a new D700 camera and after several years of use, I will change for something much smaller in size, mirrorless technology that certainly will be in place  on the market in the next few years as the best option to all.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Brunon

I'm really looking forward to the D700. I think I got a fantastic value at $1600, and I'm excited to explore this new Nikon territory for myself. I have seen many images taken from the D700 online, and I'm just consistently amazed that it continues to produce beautiful images.

tomnorth wrote:

The D700 is an excellent camera with fabulous ergonomics, especially with the grip. I recently bought the D800 but am keeping my D700 (bought 4 years ago).  For action photography I will go to the D700. I may also go for the D700 for event work. For portraiture, nature and travel work I will use the D800. I think the D700 is still a marvelous camera. It is a joy to shoot with. I would just shoot with it and enjoy it. The fact that there is still a decent market for the D700 ought to tell you something.

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow