A RAW refresher: the differences between JPEG and RAW.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
howardroark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
Re: Marco
In reply to Dimitri Khoz, Oct 17, 2012

Dimitri, let's go ahead and just murder this "sibbling thread" with further pointless coloration.  First of all, this thread was posted in response to a conversation occuring in a different thread where suddenly Marco felt the need to rant about how worthless RAW was.  It took place where most people wouldn't find it and those who did find it didn't really want to start from a place of discussing any kind of fact.  I posted my thread to put forth objective, unbiased information to allow people to actually see what difference existed and then explain what I did and why.  Many hours later Marco decided to put for his title fight "RAW vs JPEG", a title he stated was chosen so that if someone ran that search on Google his thread would pop up.  I tried to tell someone what a RAW file was http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50005618 and Marco took that as his cue to rail against the use of RAW in any situation.  Marco has contradicted himself at every turn:  the only reason to use RAW is some consider it future proof, but it's not; the only reason to use RAW is if you're a pro and really know a lot about editing, but JPEG is better than RAW and has the same information and is just as able to be edited as RAW; RAW files are being abandoned all the time and you can't expect future support and yet Adobe still supports every RAW file type it has ever supported; you should be afraid of editing RAW but feel free to edit JPEGs; he takes the perfect exposure every time and yet he can retrieve highlights (why does he need to?); and my favorite is it's really difficult to get the same quality that you got out of a JPEG despite the RAW editor having those JPEG defaults easily available to create the exact same image if you desire.  Marco may have some points to make, but his arguments are ill-supported, contradictory, and based mostly on his own 10 year history of, by his own admission, not having edited a single RAW file.

Having you as a follower lends his position no credibility or objectivety.  As for your shared dislike of RAW files, it takes me exactly the time required to open a RAW file to match JPEG quality, and it takes about five minutes to far exceed it.  The reason I can exceed it is because I know what I want my image to look like and a Japanese engineer limited by the transistors on a piece of semiconductor can only do their best to guess.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow