Can I say Canon 85 f/1.8 is better than Nikon 85 f/1.8G based on this..

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
cptobvious
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
Re: Can I say Canon 85 f/1.8 is better than Nikon 85 f/1.8G based on this..
In reply to hikaruggggg, Oct 17, 2012

My take:

• The Nikon 85mm 1.8G has the edge resolution-wise, although the Canon 1.8 is no slouch.  I've never felt the Canon was lacking in sharpness, even wide-open, in the center where it matters (for portraits).  The Canon is good in the corners when closed down several stops, so it can be used for landscapes where you're likely to stop down anyway.
  • The Nikon seems to do better with bokeh fringing/CA than the Canon, although I've yet to use a wide-aperture lens that was completely free of it.  Sometimes the Canon's fringing can be really ugly  shot in high contrast scenes.  Thankfully, the newest version of Lightroom makes this easy to correct.
  • Build quality is about a draw.  The Nikon has no wobbly parts unlike the Canon's slightly loose focus ring, but the plastics in the Nikon feel cheaper in comparison.  The Nikon is made in China while the Canon is made in Japan, but that's just a sidenote.
  • AF performance is a win for Canon.  You can use it for shooting sports (focuses as quickly as most L lenses), whereas the Nikon's focus speed is just "good enough."
  • I like the bokeh of the Canon more.  Even though the Nikon has rounded aperture blades, there's something about the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus areas in the Canon that is smoother.  The Nikon 1.8G series in general have pretty abrupt OOF transactions, and you have to pay extra for the 1.4G versions to get smoother transitions.
  • The Nikon comes with a hood, soft case and 5-year warranty.  Canon's 1-year warranty for all of their lenses (even L) is just too short.  However I prefer Canon's service better than Nikon's.
  • Price: Canon is the better deal at $370 currently vs. $500 for the Nikon.  Remember that 85mm 1.8 lenses are among the most simplest of lens designs, and neither lens has aspherical or ED elements.  I feel that the Nikon is about $100 overpriced, but it's the price you pay for having a great value body (D800/D600).

-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow