Started Oct 17, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bmcdon
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Yet another Lexar vs. Sandisk question
Oct 17, 2012

So I've always used Sandisk extreme cf over the years and have never had a single issue with them.  Maybe it's luck but then again I expect that sort of reliability.  My current cameras are 7D and 5D3.  I'm doing great right now with a trio of 32gig Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s cards.  I don't do a ton of high speed capture and never any video so I've never had any issue of plugged up buffer.

Well, my question today is that BH is selling both cards in 64gig size (I would like to put this in the 5D3) but their specs are slightly different(as is the price by about $30 with the Lexar being cheaper on sale right now).  The Lexar is Pro 400x udma7 and the Sandisk is Extreme udma5.  Oddly enough, Rob Galbraith's tests rate the Lexar faster than the Sandisk 32gig card.  He doesn't seem to have tested the Sandisk 64gig card for some reason.  In any case, even though officially the Lexar has a write speed of around 45megs/sec., it performs slightly better than the Sandisk 32gig card in the 5D3.  Rocking.

So the real question is one of reliability.  I'm pretty sure both these cards are rock solid but after years and many cards with Sandisk, I'm don't want to sound like a baby but I'm afraid to leave the secure feeling I've gotten with Sandisk cards and was curious to know if anyone's had issues with the Lexars.

And to further explain, I'm one of those people who like to use one big card though I know some like to split their day into lots of little ones.  I'm not interested in using the second slot as overflow or to backup write.  I think a 400x cf is slow enough and don't want to slow the camera down to sd speeds.  I also like to have a few big cards in case one starts to act funky though like I mentioned, I've been lucky enough to have always had my cards write and read reliably.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow