Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,308Gear list
Like?
Panasonic G5 videos at dark venue ...
Oct 17, 2012

I went to a local bar called Quinns Ale House Open Mic Night last Sunday to record my son and his friend playing a set and I thought I'd share the experience here.

First, I received the G5 on Friday, so I was ill prepared to shoot video, else I would have found a way to use compensation to handle the dark bar with a nasty backlight behind the performers. Instead, I had to process the video fairly heavily to get it this bright.

The audio was supposed to come off of a TASCAM DR05, but it somehow munched the recording of their opening song so I used the G5's audio track instead and was very surprised at the latitude I had to clean it up. The bar was extremely loud and you can hardly here the performers on the original soundtrack. This version is much better, and there is no extra hiss. The mics are really clean on this cam ... I am ´╗┐really´╗┐ impressed.

The AF was fantastic ... my son sat a couple of feet from where I was forced to film and his friend was back about 5 or 6 feet ... yet the camera had little difficulty ... and everything it did was utterly silent, as it should be with the Power OIS 14-42 ...

All in all, a great experience. And now that the Samyang has arrived, I can set up the GF3 to record at the same time, giving me two video and audio tracks (3 audio if I can get the dang TASCAM working better) ... I just need to pick up a GX1 now for full coverage

So ... the links.

My son's "Lost" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td8QTxPXdf4 (Lost)

The host's (Brad Alford) "Crazy" cover of Ray LaMontagne's version -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQmThqXc_E (Crazy)

Let me know what you think ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow