K-5 II and IIs availability? Should I just get a K-5?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Questions thread
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,062Gear list
Like?
Re: K-5 II and IIs availability? Should I just get a K-5?
In reply to sgtsween, Oct 17, 2012

sgtsween wrote:

This has probably been asked numerous times, but does ANYONE have any scoop on when the K-5 II and IIs will hit the street? I am flying to the US for a week or so tonight, and want to pick one up while I'm there. Any idea on the new 18-270 lens?

It should be soon now. But there's no actual date, and knowing that in the past Pentax often missed expected availability by a few weeks, it's hard to tell whether you be able to get the K-5 II in the coming weeks or not. It will be close that's for sure...

Don't know about the lens though.

Another relevant question is.... Since I'm interested in the K-5 II (versus the S) would I be better served picking up the standard K-5, or does the II have that much better of a sensor and AF?

Since there's no real life experience the K-5 II yet, it's close to impossible to answer that question.

A little background... This would be my first DSLR. I've had a film SLR, and currently shoot with an Olympus EPL-1 and Fuji X100. I was holding out for the Fuji XE1, but I mainly want a good DSLR for birding, and the K-5 is just about perfect with the weather sealing. My X100 will be my street camera, and the K-5 would be for situations where I need durability. This would be my second Pentax as I had an old Optio WR years ago that served me very well.

You'll find the K-5 a very nice camera for your purpose. For the moment there's no telling whether the new cameras will be significantly different? They might, but that doesn't mean the K-5 isn't a great camera in its own right.

Wim

-- hide signature --
 Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow