Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Babka08
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
I'm thinking about switching to NEX from K5+
Oct 16, 2012

To make this relevant to the Pentax crowd, tell me why I shouldn't!

The #1 reason is for compactness. I switched from Sony/Minolta full-frame to Pentax K5 and limiteds etc for it's smaller size. But with the latest announcements from Sony re NEX cameras and lenses it's looking like their options will cover my needs save for a 100 macro.

I want to be able to have the camera with me all the time, and not hesitate to take it because of size or bulk. The NEX 6 is about half the size and weight of the K5. Their new 10-18 and 35/1.8 seem quite appealing. As does the zeiss 24/1.8 and 50/1.8. Not pancakes, but still light and small.

#2 is the general operation. I've found that I do in fact like using an LCD a fair bit for odd angles and such. And using more video than I used to, which I find cumbersome on the K5 (not a complaint as that's not its emphasis). I have a magnifier on my K5 to get a larger finder image, so the size of the NEX EFV seems attractive too.

Am I making any sense? Or making a mistake? (you're not allowed to tell me "it's your decision" even though you'd be right, which I already know, so you don't have to tell me, because I already know...)

I'm your typical enthusiast, and take a variety of shots. Emphasis on landscapes, travel, hiking. Then close ups and macro. Then people. 97% available light. Not much in the way of fast action or sports, or wildlife for that matter. I live in the mountains and am active.

Babka08's gear list:Babka08's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +1 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow