Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
"Long Term" budget storage?
Oct 16, 2012

I have recently decided to back up some of my photo collection for storage. at this time I have a lot of photos on my "work" drive that I do not plan to edit at all in the near future.

I might have at most 100gb of photos, maybe less.

Whatever I store them on will probably sit in a filing cabinet for 3-5 years, maybe more without use, as long as technology doesn't drastically change and the medium I use becomes obsolete.

My first thought was to just burn them to CD's and DVD's, but I have heard these storage mediums have a very short shelf life, and it would be a very time consuming task to burn all of those disks and check them.

My next idea was another hard drive, but if I am going to be storing it away and not using it, I think it will have a high chance of needle failure on start up? Correct me if I'm wrong. I know that moving parts means a higher chance of failure, and i'm not sure how much they like sitting without use for years on end.

My last solution was a few 64gb flash drives or an actual solid state drive in an enclosure(though a 128gb module costs around $100+, whereas 2 64gb flash drives cost $60-$80) to back things up to. From what I know solid state storage doesn't fail often, and when it does it has something to do with being used.

I have no long term experience with any of these mediums, but I was hoping someone here would be able to set me straight as to what would be the safest affordable long term storage medium. I'd like to spend no more than $150 since I am only backing up a small amount of data.

Thanks for the help in advance!

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow