My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hacky3D
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to Michael S., Oct 16, 2012

Michael S. wrote:

Have read through all of your review and it seems your conclusion is - bottom line - there is a reason why the Leica f0.95 lens has the double price!?

So would you say better invest in a 50mm Summilux than in the Hyperprime Noctilux version?

As written before, a Summilux and a F0.9x lens are not directly comparable. F1.4 already allows to play nicely with depth of field and will be more than sufficient propably in >90% of those situations and the bokeh of the ASPH Summilux is still the reference at F1.4. F0.92 means, you have a special effects lens, that covers also F1.4 but for about three times the weight and size. In contrast to the Noctilux, the HyperPrime keeps highlights in the out-of-focus areas as nicely round circels of confusion (no edges visible) even when stopped down to F1.4 or 2.0.

I have the comfortable situation to own the Summilux as well as the HyperPrime and I would give away non of them. If you have to decide between them, you should be sure if you want to have a lens able for special effects at the price of significantly more weight and size. If you do not require RF calibration, the CINE could be an option for you at about the price of a Summilux.

Hacky3D's gear list:Hacky3D's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow