Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
swhockey98
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Purchasing my first DSLR
Oct 16, 2012

I am very new to the digital photography realm, I've only owned 2 point-and-shoot cameras in the past. I'm looking to move up to a DSLR, and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years so I am willing to spend a little extra. Over the past month I've done some independent research and have become somewhat familiar with some of the terminology and what to look for in a camera. I'm also taking a photography class in a couple months and a DSLR is a requirement for the course so I'm doing my research and purchase before the class begins.

As far as my requirements, I am not going to use it professionally, just to take pictures of landscape scenery both outdoor and indoor scenery, and still portrait. I will be using the camera almost 100% for photography and hardly for HDR, so HDR capabilities are not my main focus. I'm looking for a camera and lense that offers exceptional picture quality and detail in field depth in indoor, outdoor, and portrait images.

Here's the homework I've done so far, can someone please give me recommendations for both camera bodies and paired lenses that would offer what I'm looking for? Right now, I can only afford one lense with my purchase so I guess I need a versatile one that meets all my criteria above for now.

Bodies

Nikon D7000
Nikon D600

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 6D
Canon EOS 7D

Lenses

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G
Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR 
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM 
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow