Canon 60D -> Nikon D600 or not ?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
MichaelIsGreat4
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Nikon D600 or not ? The Nikon D600 because of its IMAGE QUALITY.
In reply to HKFreelancePhotographer, Oct 16, 2012

Yes, the Nikon D600 is a huge winner. What sets the Nikon D600 apart from the Canon offerings (either the Canon 5D Mark III or the Canon 6D) is the amazing image quality produced by the sensor of the Nikon D600 that has a sensor of the same quality than the Nikon D800 but at 24 MP instead of 36 MP. And it shows really amazingly in the pictures produced by the Nikon D600.

Both Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 6D are good cameras. BUT ...

Specifications-wise, the Nikon D600 is much better than the Canon 6D and it has AT LEAST the same number of features than the Canon 5D Mark III but it is still much better than the Canon 5D Mark III only because of the high dynamic range and low noise at high ISOs produced by the much better sensor that is on the Nikon D600. Again, the image quality produced by the Nikon D600 is at the same level than the Nikon D800.

And the Nikon D600 costs $1,400 less than the Canon 5D Mark III.

But do not take my word for it. Instead read the very happy experience of a Canon 5D Mark II user who bought a Nikon D600.

Read "In love with Nikon (former Canon user): Nikon FX SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review" at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3281181

Here are a few of his comments:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Regular MemberPosts: 124
Rate this post:
In love with Nikon (former Canon user)
17 hours ago

I just switched from a Canon 5D Mark II to a Nikon D600. I have been shooting for about 10 years, and always used Canon until last week.

The first feeling I got with the D600 is that... IT JUST WORKS!

Focus: I take mostly static shots, portraits, landscape, my toddler (OK, not so static alright!)... I couldn't ever use the outer edge focus points on the 5D2, but with the D600, I nail the focus EVERY SINGLE TIME. It makes me feel better about my abilities as well. I really thought I was doing something wrong this whole time. But with the Nikon, zero problem. Focus on the eye, the eye is in perfect focus. Focus on the rock in the foreground, rock in the foreground is in focus.

Exposure: same considerations. The Canon metering is pretty "jumpy" or "erratic". It's hard to get a scene properly rendered, especially with a flash. With the Nikon: nailed it, every single time (matrix mode). The ultimate test: I shot a framed diploma (frame under a sheet of glass) straight on, with the flash (yes, it was just a test). The result: a perfectly exposed diploma, perfect focus, and a bright spot where the reflection of the flash went. Try THAT with a Canon. You'll get a properly exposed bright spot where the flash reflected itself, and the rest (the main subject) is 4 stops underexposed.

White balance: OMG! It nails it too, every single time! No need to constantly update the white balance in Lightroom for ALL the indoor shots, it does it right in camera!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow