My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
bur437
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to SLR Magic, Oct 16, 2012

SLR Magic wrote:

I see a few "dislikes" with the drop test suggestion where the HyperPrime survived. This is a clear example where we get the "boos" when lenses of another brand may be to a disadvantage for another lens. We obviously do not have a lot of support from this forum thread. We had a lot of support on mirrorless forums. Same brand but probably different brand loyalty.

This was a topic opened on the micro four thirds thread on dpreview two years ago.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/36108742

We got the feedback from users at dpreview forum on what lens they want and we made the lens. It was the HyperPrime CINE 12mm T1.6 lens that was one of the lenses used on the new Panasonic GH3 launch film.

We also made a new option for a equivalent 50mm T0.95 for APS-C cameras by offering the 35mm T0.95 lens. Here are some reviews on the Fuji EX1 and the NEX-7.
Almost Perfection - 1st Test of a SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 35mm T0.95 prototype
EXCLUSIVE: SLR Magic 35mm 0.95 lens – FIRST LOOK on XE1 & OMD
We do not have the heritage like other brands as that would take years but we have been very active in providing more lens options for a market that had so far been monopolistic for the past 100 years.

Hi Andrew ( I think it's Andrew)

I think your personal feelings about 'typical Leica users' or 'typical forum brand loyalty' may be clouding your judgement on this issue (the drop test)

I don't care because

A- it's not scientific (how do you control how a lens will typically fall and what part of the lens will land first and how many lenses need to be dropped to be statistically significant

B- a lens isn't designed to be dropped (it's nice if it survives). I do care and suspect other buyers care much more about how a lens stands up to the rigors of everyday use. This means I need to be assured focus rings and apertures will work smoothly, and since I can't handle a lens (I'm in Aus) all I have to go by is other users feedback.

I am primarily a mirror less user (nex) I don't have a Leica digital body. I do have three Asph Leica lenses, a Voigtlander (50 1.1) and a Minolta lens all in M mount. I am more interested in SLRMagics 35 0.95, but my opinions on buying that lens will be influenced by the companies reputation in bringing to market other 'high end' lenses (any lens over $2000 I consider high end and should last 15+ years of use)

Ive seen suggestoons that you provide a lens for some kind of strip down test, you don't seem keen on that, but I feel that I am not alone in saying that I need to be be further convinced that your companies premium lenses come with premium quality control and build specs.

Ps- I really think the image quality of both the fast 50 and 35 are excellent and you have the potential for an excellent product. You may feel you have been unfairly dealt with in regards to posters 'airing' negative comments without firstly contacting you, But.. how your company responds will speak volumes

All the best

Simon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow