Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,744Gear list
Like?
Re: I prefer the 14mm.
In reply to rrr_hhh, Oct 16, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

g2van wrote:

For a compact kit, the 14/2.5 is fantastic and versatile: small, light, cheap, great results and a great focal length! With the OMD's great high ISO performance, you can shoot away into the night as well.  You can't go wrong with the 14!

I find that the 14mm shows a lot of distortion : persons standing at the edge of the frame have their heads squeezed to the corners, or they appear shorter and larger than they are. It was a bad surprise for me once I used it in a series of group shots.

But that's just a result of the FoV, the magnification, and the arrangement of the people. If you had used your 12 instead of the 14 (at the same subject magnification), it would have been even worse. And if you had arranged the people so that they formed a straight line parallel to the sensor plane (rather than as a semi-circle with the people at the edges a bit closer to the sensor plane), everyone would have looked just fine. Any rectilinear WA with a certain FoV will behave in the same way here.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow