Started Oct 15, 2012 | Questions thread
sfnikon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 150...
In reply to dwa1, Oct 16, 2012

dwa1 wrote:

sfnikon wrote:

On my D3 I loved the Sigma 150/2.8 (non-OS version). I thought it was tack sharp edge to edge and generally superb even wide open.   Then I got my D800E in May and was expecting the same/similar results but it was not to be.  The new sensor is much more critical of optics esp if you look at the pixel level on a 27" imac like I do.  It seemed soft with lower contrast and microcontrast than had been my impression of it in the past.

1 - Sigma 150 (non-OS) on the D800E... How was the sharpness stopped down to about f5 or so?

2 - I was wondering if anyone knows how the OS version wide open (on the D800 / D800E) compares to the non-OS?

Wayne

It was better stopped down to f/5.6 (non-macro) but still not what I would consider critically sharp when viewed at 100% on the D800e.   I used it mainly for non-macro shooting so if you are planning on the lens mainly for macro use I cannot comment.

lenstip.com compares the two versions at non-macro distances.

-- hide signature --

Jake

sfnikon's gear list:sfnikon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow