My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Daniel74
Contributing MemberPosts: 674Gear list
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to samhain, Oct 16, 2012

I suspect they are a bit jaded with a lot of trolling and bashing from people with no first-hand experience with their lenses.

I confess when I first saw Steve Huff's gushing review I was not convinced. And when he compared it with a clearly front focused Summilux 50mm ASPH in one pic, I just closed the thing down and dismissed it as another marketing campaign with no substance.

What won me over was seeing amazing images from it over and over again.

I think we have to separate the facts from fiction here. The reviewer above says that his lens has red glue on the mount, marks on the aperture blades and that the focusing ring and the aperture were stiff. He saw some dark particles inside the lens too. This isn't ideal for sure, but it is a long way from here to a lens that is about to fall apart. These are cosmetic issues not fundamental issues with build, are they?

Again, this was the early prototype version too and sure they did themselves a disservice by not checking the lens properly, assuming the reviewer is not exaggerating these matters.

My Cine version (M-mount) was bought from Seb Farges. His was also the early prototype version and he had some troubles with it too. But then he sent it back to them and they had re-engineered the body and it is not bad at all. It certainly doesn't feel like it's going to come apart. Remember this is a massive heavy lens and perhaps this is what some people are not taking into account. I had the legendary Voigtlander Macro-Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 and the focusing on that lens was stiff and uneven. Nobody really makes a fuss over the Voigtlander, or the loose focus on some of the recent Cosina Zeiss.

My sense is that there were some issues early on and now there is an overreaction happening fuelled by some trolling behaviour. I am curious to hear from people who received their lenses recently both the Cine and RF versions. What has their experience been like so far?

For my part, I am very grateful this company has produced a T0.95 full frame with superb image quality lens that I could afford.

Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow