EXIF data shows 19mm as widest for the 17-40 F4 L lens, why?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?
Re: EXIF data shows 19mm as widest for the 17-40 F4 L lens, why?
In reply to Vovk, Oct 16, 2012

I am not sure I have an answer for your, but I did have a similar experience. A few years ago, when I moved from a 20D to 5D2, I ended up selling my trusted 17-40L as well. I had used it as a standard zoom on the 20D, but it was too wide for my purposes on FF. The person who bought the lens, to be used on his 5D2, told me the lens only indicated 19mm at the wide end. I looked through my old files, and to my surprise, while the EXIF on the 20D frequently showed 17mm, it did not on my 5D2 (I only had a few pictures to examine from the 5D2, however). Unfortunately, the mystery was never solved as the buyer opted to keep the lens when I gave him a partial refund (I had offered to send it to Canon and have it looked at, at my expense). I had the feeling that the lens operated well and that it was merely a lens-camera connection mismatch. But I don't know for sure.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow