Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nemesix
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Civil War Reenactment - D7K + 16-85mm VR - CC Welcomed - 15 Pics
Oct 16, 2012

Never done any "documentary/editorial" type photography before (I'm a wildlife/landscape guy usually) so some practice seemed like a good idea.

This event was a re-creation of a raid by Union troops against a small Confederate force defending an artillery position, interestingly they decided the Union would win on Saturday and the Confederacy on Sunday (I was there on Saturday).  It was conducted on the grounds of the Florida Agricultural Museum, near the Pellicer Creek (incidentally an excellent spot for bird photography), in Flagler County, Florida.

Only a few of these have any processing other than color correction/sharpening, would love any C&C you can provide to someone new to this type of shooting.

I was mostly on P-mode, Auto-ISO, AF-S, letting the camera do it's thing while I concentrated on composition and finding interesting things to shoot.

Reenactors wait for the battle to begin under the shade of a grove.

Imagine even more photographers behind me

Period journalist writing his story before the battle.

Confederate cavalry riding in front of the stands.  Had to fix some major backlighting on this.

Skirmishing in the field of battle.

Union troops assault the confederate position.

Union troops fire on the last defending Confederates.

Waving to the crowd after the battle.

Union line with period and modern spectators.

Both sides milling about after the battle.

Union troops marching home with Old Glory.

More marching, this time with modern spectators in tow.

And finally some portraits of the reenactors, I liked the focal length of the 16-85mm (at 85mm) for these, felt more natural than covering the battle itself (which would have been more fun with a wide range of zoom.)

Civilian looking concerned as the battle ends.

Two young civilian reenactors.

Boy scouts as Union soldiers, B&W conversion in Silver Efex.

Thanks for looking if you made it this far

-- hide signature --

www.stevensobelphotography.com
www.flickr.com/photos/stevensobel

nemesix's gear list:nemesix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix A303 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow