Next toy; macro, flash, or prime?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ranger604
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: Next toy; macro, flash, or prime?
In reply to dNick33, Oct 16, 2012

dNick33 wrote:

I'll second what George says. I have the A77 also, and bought it with the 16-50, which I love! I made the mistake of buying the 18-250, thinking it would be a nice all-round lens, before I understood the limitations of making a lens with a wide zoom range (this was my first interchangeable lens camera). I still use it when I need >50mm, but the results are nowhere near as sharp as the 1650 through much of the range. If I were doing it again I wouldn't bother with the 18-250 and I would get a zoom that didn't go so wide to go with the 16-50. I know that's not quite what you're asking for, but the 16-50 my double up and give you what you're looking for out of a prime.

Yup,  same boat.  Don't know that I would call the 18250 a 'mistake' though.  I toiled long and hard over buying the a77 with the 'kit' lens, and regret it now that I didn't. C'est la vie.

ideally this decision might be easier if somebody came up with some more options when it comes to weather-sealed lenses.  I live in western Canada where once in awhile ~ahem~ it rains.

I had never really considered the 50mm macro due to lack of HSM (or SSM, or whatever).. kids are speedy.

thanks again, everyone.  I was close to the flash decision, but now I'm not so sure.  Perhaps Santa's pockets are a little deeper this year.

ranger604's gear list:ranger604's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow