Nikon Melville may have fixed my D800 Left AF defect ...

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005Gear list
Like?
Nikon Melville may have fixed my D800 Left AF defect ...
Oct 16, 2012

Received my D800 back Friday from Melville.  Second repair attempt.  The first attempt fixed the left bank problem without causing a negative impact on the other banks.  However, it resulted in a significant front focus.  This effect seems to have been common on first repair attempts.

I was contacted by Nikon requesting the camera for another look.  The result seems to be normal expectations regarding AF tuning, and consistent with expectations across all banks.  I have tested by 24-70, and found that the +12 is now 0 to +2 (depending in the focal length).  At 24 and wide open, the left and right are consistent and acceptable sharp.  The center is very sharp.  Lens looks good at 50 and 70 as well.  I had the 24-70 serviced a few months ago, and it is now better than new.

My 50 and 85 G's are back to 0 AF tuning.

My 70-200, which needed +20 after the first repair at 200 now is spot on at 0.  I've noticed that at 70 it is still front focusing, and looking back on past images I can see indications that this lens was also front focusing at the shorter end before.  I mostly shoot this lens at the long end, so I guess I never noticed.  So my take is the lens needs service.

I will do more playing around this weekend, but so far it seems that Melville got the D800 right.

Hope this is helpful to those waiting on recent repairs.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow