My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hacky3D
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to facewashwas, Oct 15, 2012

facewashwas wrote:

Hacky3D wrote:

Your photos did not contain EXIF data. Could you please mention on which camera they were taken?

The lens was used on my Leica M9 and an M8.

This is a warning to those who are getting off topic about my review. Your posts will be reported and deleted. Don't waste your efforts.

Stay on topic.

You think it is off topic when I have a question regarding the pictures which are part of you review? I am used to reviews where the authors also stand behind ther image samples and post at least a part of it with EXIF data and in original resolution.

For me your review simply focuses far too much on build quality assumptions derived from an early prototype sample and the impact of packaging.

macjonny1 wrote:

Personally after these reports I would be very very worried about buying one of these.  A drop test would do nothing to reassure me about that. 

@MacJonny1: I do not recommend to draw a descision only based on two or three people and their subjective experience with particular samples of early prototypes as there is a risk to take too much human error into account. There are at least as many positive reports about the lens - optically as well as mechanically.

I saw also many reports about focusing issues from Noctilux users as well es reports about debris inside. This is not a general problem of the Noctilux or Leica. It is a mixture of general limitations of rangefinders and their calibration tolerances when used with high resolution digital sensors. Some people tend to believe, that only Leica is able to face these issues and build F0.95 M-lenses lasting a lifetime. SLR Magic has not that history but this is no reason to base a de-recommendation on assumptions and experience with some early prototypes.

I am sure, over the time, there will be more and more reports from users of production samples. My recommendation is to use F0.9x lenses on Leica M with EVF. If you think you can live without optical rangefinder you have the option to use the CINE version (which also moves the RF coupling arm on the camera so that for example the Leica M will switch to zoom mode when the focus ring is turned).

Hacky3D's gear list:Hacky3D's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow