Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lensinlowplaces
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
very unhappy with 28 mm 1.8
Oct 15, 2012

Let me preface this post by saying that I am relatively new to photography (only within the past few years have I become serious about it), so my knowledge of the ins and outs of equipment is somewhat limited.  That said, I purchased a used 28 1.8 a year and a half ago so that I could take indoor, low light shots of my kid and family, and have been extremely unhappy with it.  The lens is not sharp at all, throughout the entire photo, and I initially thought it was probably user error.  However, I shoot with the lens the same way I do with my 50 1.4 (which I use for the same purpose, although I really needed a wider lens so I could be a bit closer to my subjects, hence the reason for my purchase of the 28) - my photos with the 50 are so crisp and beautiful, and it's like nothing compares.  I shoot on a 60D if that matters.

Does anyone else hate their 28 1.8 or at least have the same sorts of issues?  I am finding myself salivating over the 24-70 2.8 so that I can have a wider lens to use in low light, but I cannot justify spending over $2000 as a non-pro photographer (at least without winning the lottery or getting a hefty bonus first!).

If you've had this issue with this lens (or similar issues with other lenses), did sending the lens to canon to calibrate help?  Is it possible this is just a "bad lens" (I know, I know, I've read the threads on here about how that's a farce and you really just need to calibrate)?  Or is the fact that the lens was used really the key to this?

Please help!  If it turns out this is just not a great lens overall and I need to sell it, what's out there that doesn't cost two grand but allows me to take the kinds of photos I need?  I have also looked into the Tamron 24-70 2.8 but I have the Tamron 18-270 and really don't love it (again, given the kinds of photos I take, I don't use it often - and when I do, I find that the pictures are just not as good quality as the 50 mm).

Thanks in advance!

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow