Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 569Gear list
Like?
Re: Concerning rumors
In reply to Press Correspondent, Oct 15, 2012

Press Correspondent wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

first those rumors are old as mammoth sh*t.  Second, if Canon will do it, it will cost as hell. At first I wanted to switch to Nikon because of 600D vs. 6D, but now, after reading some Nikon lens tests, I want to do it because of brilliant and cheap G-serie, 50mm both f/1.8 and f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/1.8.

The rumor was $850. I would buy it for this much. The question is when.

Good luck with 600D, it sounds like a great body. Although don't believe the hype. I have tested Nikkor 50/1.8G on D800 and disagree with the fanbois. It could not focus on any peripheral point with less tha a 20-point error. The microcontrast was low, even worse than the cheaper D version. I was also repulsed by the cheap plastic mount of this Chinese made lens. It's optical design was optimized for bokeh, which is better than that of the D. Finally, none of 50-mm Nikkors are on the Nikon's list of the sharpest lenses recommended for D800. In comparison, Nikkor 60/2.8 had none of these problems. Test before you buy, you may or may not like it, who knows.

Lists and names are the last thing I take care of. Some idiots say D600 is worse than XXX because D600 is a called "consumer" on official Nikon page and XXX is called PRO-sumer on its official page. Even though they both have same build, water resistance etc. Also AFAIK that list is for d800e, not d800. Anyway, Canon 50mm are well known for terrible AF performance, while I have not seen anything bad about Nikkor 50mm G. But I will search more carefully, if you say you had troubles with that. I also do not see plastic mount as a problem for a 100 gramm lens. I am not a pro and I also use my gear very carefully.

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow