looking for a suitable leptop

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Questions thread
Deegee
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Re: looking for a suitable leptop
In reply to yuhahn, Oct 15, 2012

If it is of any help I have been using the following laptop since Feb 2012.  As always, I wish it were faster but I don't think there are that many around that are.  I use it as my only PC for photography and other business uses.  With the former I work on multi-layered D800E & D4 files of 1.5Gb + size and often have Photo Mechanic, L/room, & PS open at the same time with the latter running Nik software on smart objects.

I almost always use it docked both at home and in the office, at both locations using dual colour-calibrated 27" monitors:-

Dell Precision M4600 laptop with Intel Core I7-2960XM (2.70GHz, 8MB cache, Quad Core processor); 16Gb RAM,  dual hard drives (one Solid State for fast boot-up and responsiveness from programmes); NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3 graphics card etc, etc, running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

The only gripe is at the time 128Gb was the highest capacity SSD minidrive I was able to specify and this is now full due to the OS, apps and ACR cache.  256Gb mini SSDs are now available and I have no choice to get one but £400 is an expensive upgrade.

Just out of interest I recently compared the time it took to save a 1.5Gb file from PS onto the SSD with the time taken to save on the 7,200 RPM conventional second drive.  With both drives the time was exactly the same - 1min 14 secs. Read speed of 17 secs was also the same with both drives.  I thought SSDs were faster.  Does anyone have any different experince, knowledge or comment? I certainly find the laptop much faster to boot than any other machine I have owned so I think the SSD must have some advantages.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Deegee FRPS
www.duncangrove.com
www.duncangroveblog.com
Q:- What's the difference between artists and photographers?
A:- Two artists can have a conversation without discussing their paintbrushes!

Deegee's gear list:Deegee's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow