Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HVenkat
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Noise & sharpness D7000 & 16-85 Nikkor lens, C & C welcome
Oct 15, 2012

I have uploaded 2 snaps , one of my boy and another of myself. The snaps have been tweaked on LR4 for noise, sharpness etc, however the concerns or queries are :

1. Noise:

If one blows it up, you can notice a lot of noise on my boys photo whereas barely any on my photo. Hence, does one normally really blow up a persons photo at such a distance to check for sharpness, noise etc (refer to the boys photo) or am I trying to achieve too much ?

2. Sharpness:

My photo definitely appears sharper, but is it because I am closer than my boy wrt to the camera ?

The focus points are on my left eye and on my boys T- shirt (around the chest). The Fstop on both is at 9 but the shutter speeds are slighlty different, the boys at 200 & mine at 400 (basically to compensate for the stronger sunlight). The focal length is 85 mm i case of my boy and at about 52 mm in case of my snap.

Boys snap Af-C 9 points and mine with Af-C Single, VR on in both the cases.

I somehow feel, that the 16-85 appears to be sharp with close-ups , i.e. when the subject to camera distance is short - probably within 1 - 2 meters, but as soon as one goes further the sharpness drops

or is it that at 85 mm, I am pushing the limits of my lens, whereas at 52 it is in a sweet spot. But the MTF reports on photozone.de indicate that at both the focal lengths, the lens should be sharp? at both 50 & 85 mm  at F8 it is just above 1950 for center resolution which is excellent and even borders touch 1950

Or finally it is simple a case of the amount of light falling on me v/s on my boy which is making all teh difference?

Please let me have your comments

My photo

My boys snap

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow