Sony Action Cam with Wifi, A Basic Review (Motorsport Use)

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scott997
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Sony Action Cam with Wifi, A Basic Review (Motorsport Use)
Oct 15, 2012

I was really excited when I heard the camera was coming out. I even preordered. Once I got the camera the excitement turned to disappointment before even testing it out. Once I saw the underwater casing you need in order to have it work with the suction cup car mount I couldn't believe the flaw in the design. The microphone input is completely covered in the casing. In order to get around this problem I took out my red sharpee and a drill to make the input usable.

The Next problem is the WIFI connection does not work as it should. The preview only works the very first time you find the connection and enter the camera password. The rest of the times it will find it but can't generate a preview, but can transfer video or LOW quality stills to your device (iPhone 5). Ok I found a work around for this too, I got to the race track selected forget this connection and then added it again with password. Next problem, at Daytona I wasn't about to mount a camera outside of the car so inside windshield seemed like the best solution. Now my video is upside down. Final Cut to the rescue for the firmware shortcomings.

For Motorsport use stick with what works, the contour plus or go pro. This camera is not yet ready for prime time. Not until more mounting solutions are out that don't block your mic input and wifi preview works. A few more options like flipping video and higher quality still would be nice also. Sony KNEW what they were up against stepped up to the plate and bunted when they easily could of hit it out of the park!

The regulations for the track time was windows had to be down, I had my audio technica lavalier mic with a windbreaker on wired under the seat. The wind and the air show going on at the same time over Daytona didn't help my audio. Heres a link to the my test, 1 Lap Around Daytona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_IdSOhhHBQ

PS sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow