Received my RX100 - realise Canon's Strengths.

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peterharvey
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
Received my RX100 - realise Canon's Strengths.
Oct 15, 2012

I have owned mostly Canons over the years; never any Sony cameras, yet two Sony camcorders.

I received my Sony RX100 today; now I realise what Canon's strengths are.

Canons look good, and they are superbly ergonomic!

The RX100 looks just as good, if not better than Canons.

However, the RX100 is an ergonomic mess!

The HDMI output socket on the RX100 is adjacent to the tripod mount, at the base of the camera.

So if we merely sit the RX100 on the table top, the HDMI cannot be plugged in! Silly.

The RX100 also must be charged by an USB cable, however the USB socket is on the right hand side, below the lanyard attachment, beneath a plastic flap/cover.

The problem for the RX100 is that the USB flap/cover feels awfully flimsy, and it doesn't feel as though it will last.

They should have placed both the USB and HDMI sockets on the LHS of the camera, and designed it with a larger and more robust flap/cover.

The next thing I notice is that the RX100 is extremely heavy to hold - I wonder if I should have purchased a Canon S100/110???

The grip on the RX100 isn't too bad, but no match for the grip on the old S100; however the new Canon S110 has lost the right front finger grip too, but the S110 is much thinner and lighter to hold.

I did order a Richard Franiec grip, which is absolutely wonderful, but this grip turns the RX100 into a much bigger camera.

Some people say they inadvertently press the movie button on the RX100; no problems here - I think they must be gripping the back of the RX100 incorrectly.

Next, when we support the RX100 with our left fingers, the flash is blocked from popping up; this problem also occurs with the Canon S100/110.

Both the RX100 and the S110 can overcome this problem if they shift the flash 5-10mm to the right.

Next, once the camera is on, somehow the menu system of the RX100 is much harder to navigate.

I'll say more about this when I get the RX100 figured out.

Thus Canon is very good in the ergonomics.

Now once we take pictures, this is where the RX100 really shines.

The RX100 focuses so quickly, faster than any Canon I've ever owned.

The 3" LCD on the back of the RX100 is a wonder, with better resolution than the S100/110.

The RX100 takes photos with the best detail I've ever owned!

The details are so sharp - though still far from perfect; it makes my previous Canons seem like junk.

So I'm not sure whether I should swap for a Canon S110? It certainly has the ergonomics, including the easier to use size, and the capacitive touch screen makes that ergonomics even better.

Meanwhile, the RX100 is a bit of an ergonomic mess, but it has more outright image quality...

peterharvey's gear list:peterharvey's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow