Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,339
Like?
Good grief!! No Wonder.......
Oct 15, 2012

So many newbies are having AF issues with the D7K.

Preface:

I'm in the market for a D40x,  D60, or D80 for my daughter to learn on. They can be had for real cheap and I've been told the CCD's produce nice colors ... ANYWAY..... apparently they are also pretty good Auto/Green/Wife mode cams so that when my wife picks it up, she can take a decent shot without too much fuss.

On to the point of the post -

I shoot a D7K and have never really had it in Auto/Green mode ... so what the heck, I thought I'd give it a shot (pun intended). I had my daughter stand in a shadowed area of a room with a really brightly lit room directly behind her .. some what challenging to any cam. While immediately upon half press of the shutter the popup flash swung up and engaged with the shutter release. It exposed the shot beautifully. I took a bunch of similarly challenging shots and all exposed nicely. Here's the rub.... I would have had to thrown out 50% of them due to bad AF. Even those shots where the focus points recorded the proper target .... were blurry. For example, I had a couple of shots where the cam targeted my daughters forehead and chin and cheek .... yet all were out of focus. Almost all shots were at 35 mm ... f4.5... using my 18-105VR...at approx 10 to 12 foot distances giving me more than adequate DOF. I then put the camera back to aperture priority.... AF-S ..... and voila.... I was getting back to what I had been used to... razor sharp in-focus images.... all keepers.

I already knew/know that AF-A sucks .... but tonight was a stark reminder just how badly it does suck.

At least for me and my cam -

AF-S / AF-C = Happy

AF-A = Not so much.

I'm so thankful I started with those modes from the very moment I set up my cam when I bought it.

I feel sorry for those who didn't.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Nikon D40X Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ManyNew
NiceNew
CDAFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow