Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,764Gear list
Like?
Promising images from the 10-18mm
Oct 15, 2012

There's a few new samples from the 10-18mm here (originally posted on SAR).

The lens looks impressively sharp to me across the frame for a 15mm (equiv.) lens shot at f/4, and I'd imagine things will improve when stopped down.

At 10mm wide open, it's clear there's a magenta cast in the corners, some CA and vignetting. This doesn't bother me much as they are all reasonably easy fixes in software, and in any case, I would typically be using this lens around f/5.6-f/11, and here I'd expect these issues to have disappeared. I'm guessing this problem will also vanish at longer focal lengths.

Hopefully a firmware upgrade can be made to sort this out for NEX-7 JPG users. It should be far less of an issue on the 5N (and hopefully the new 5R and 6) sensors.

I find it hard to believe they can pull this off with OSS in a 225g lens. It's pricey but I'd rather have a pricey good one, than a cheap bad one.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow