Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jsbeith
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC Issues - I Need Advice
Oct 15, 2012

I purchased a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC and it arrived yesterday.  My first 30 images were blurry, but after I ran the zoom and focus rings back and forth 10-15 times I was starting to see what I thought was progress.  I packed up the Nikon D7000 for the night.

This afternoon I grabbed the camera again and I am back to having issues.  Today the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC is soft on everything again. I tested it side by side against my Nikon 18-55 VR kit lens and the kit lens was really sharp by comparrison.  The kit lens is a nice little lens but it should have been whooped by the pro grade Tamron.

I ran them side by side in two bodies - D60 and D7000. I matched ISO, aperature, focal length and shutter speed when testing. I shot both at f/3.5, f/5.6, and f/8 depending on the focal length of the lenses. I shot f/2.8 and f/5.6 on the Tamron at all focal lengths to determine if it would sharpen up at a certain focal length (it didn't - no difference). I swapped lens/body setups and performed identical tests.

I ran VR on and off, manual and auto focus, auto, A, and S modes.
Results - the kit lens performed as expected in both the D60 and D7000.  It created detailed images in both - just as it always has.

The Tamron looked blurry in all sections of the images on both bodies and it wasn't a front or rear focus issue.  I took images with a focus point on a background that would indicate if the lens was front or back focusing and it was simply a case that nowhere in the image was a sharp point to indicate a well focused image.

Unless someone here can come up with an idea I haven't tried, I will be returning it for another sample.  All of the reviews on the Tamron 24-70 VC have been positive.  Did I miss anything?

Scott

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow