There's gotta be a better way: (NEX7 video with good sound, again...)

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
There's gotta be a better way: (NEX7 video with good sound, again...)
Oct 14, 2012

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how to shoot NEX7 video with good sound. I had expected I could simply patch a Line-In into the NEX7's Mic-In jack -- but it turns out the NEX7 has an AGC "feature" that cranks the input level at quiet times, resulting in a very loud hiss. And AGC cannot be turned off in the camera.

So then I tried shooting video in the camera, and also recording audio in the computer (I'm using Ableton Live), with the idea that I'd then combine them in a second step.

But it seems I have to export the captured AVCHD file to some other video format, export the captured audio to some audio file, and then import all that into some other video editing application to align the video to the audio.

All these steps are killing the fun of simply shooting video with good sound.

Is there a specific lightweight video editor I should try that can read the AVCHD files out of the camera, and the audio file from Ableton, and do a decent job automatically aligning them, and then saving that back out to a new video file?

Alternatively, is there a good way to defeat AGC on a NEX7?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow