Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Grend
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Lighting setup help for full length vintage style portraits
Oct 14, 2012

I'm still a relative newcomer to studio lighting, and I've recently agreed to do a series of vintage 1920s-40s style glamour shots for a friend. I've been searching the web for references on how to mimic that style using strobes, and came up with a few examples, like the book "Hollywood Portraits" by Roger Hicks and Christopher Nisperos. Although that particular book is a great reference for where the original artists put their lights, it doesn't help much with recreating the effect using modern inexpensive strobes.  From what I gather, that classic Hollywood portrait look is a combination of Fresnel lights and post processing, which is how they achieve that high contrast, sharp shadow falloff while still keeping the face and skin soft.   I've been fiddling with grids and barndoors with at least 4 light sources (2 hair, key, fill) in my attempts to recreate this, but so far I haven't been very satisfied.  Anyone here tackle a similar project and care to share setup and technique tips?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow