fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686
Like?
Re: DAM software replacement for IDImager
In reply to MisterBG, Oct 14, 2012

MisterBG wrote:

bwheeler350 wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

It puzzles me as to why people think it essential they  replace their software immediately it loses manufacturer support.

My copy of IDImager has not self destructed or ceased to work. It's still doing the excellent job that it always has and I see no reason to consider any alternative.

I'v

For my purposes, IDImager ceased to work when I got a Nikon D800. The large NEF files failed to process consistently. Thumbnails displayed with a red "X" instead of an image. I hoped for a 64 bit version to solve the problem, but the announcement of no further development rules that out. After some study, I've concluded that my current needs will be met by Lightroom 4.2 well enough to justify the transition work. Already happy with making the change. Hope others find good solutions too.

That's fair enough, if it won't work it don't work, and if I were in the same position then I'd find an alternative.

Out of interest, did you try a trial of "Photo Supreme" as a replacement for IDI? I've been playing with it, and although I've become more familiar with it, I still don't like it anything like as much as IDI. I looked at some of the other alternatives but I still haven't seen anything that works in a way I feel comfortable with. I've trialled Lightroom as a raw developer and I cannot get on with it, plus the number of problems that people are reporting having with it also puts me off. I'd also prefer not contribute any more money to the monster that is Adobe.

-- hide signature --

>To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

I have read lots of reports of issues with LR too.. but - it continues to work great on my PC and the 4.2 update added a lot of speed which was my only true complaint.  As a RAW editor, it certainly does all I need it to do, with tools that make multiple image changes simple as pie!  As a DAM... welll... it has some power issues but is still very usable.  I actually like the "one stop shopping" I can see in LR - all my images edits and ability to find my images in one place.  Add to that the ability to custom create print layouts (can't do that in Supreme), built in GPS (again... nope in supreme) and all the filtering and 3rd party plugins I want - it really is a great program.

Some items I hope they work on next round - the ability to create your own "modules"... I'm not a huge fan of jumping from module to module... I much prefer the ability to create my own workspace - one where I can have the keyword panel, GPS panel and perhaps a few Develop tools all available to do one stop shopping as a first go around.   Also, their keyword entry is a bit weak - I want a more visual hierarchical system.

However, it is FAST... faster than supreme even and certainly lightning compared to idi5...  in the end, each makes their own decision - its nice to have lots of choices though all aren't perfect.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow