Sigma Software

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
motomanDK
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
Re: I see OP disappeared rather quickly
In reply to cquarksnow, Oct 14, 2012

cquarksnow wrote:

Has anyone found yet from Adobe or Microsoft what the issue about releasing a Raw Codec for the Merrill sensor seems to be ?

Meanwhile it might be useful to clearly delineate all the issues (showing 16bpc samples) to see what artifacts might exist with SPP5.3.2 to 16-bit tiff. Sigma might be a big company, but they might not realize that there are customers that are not color-blind and unfortunately can't use jpg, not to mention dynamic range, or they don't think someone buying a $999 camera will watch the picture on a $35000 16-bpc screen... The reality is that even if they have $100,000 for a camera, it's not the Raytrix R29 that will afford them the resolution and versatility of the Merrill series. Also if a full frame (or 7680 x 4320 pixels) Foveon-based camera comes on the market, are we confident that Sigma will be able to upgrade SPP to output 16-bit JPEG XR or Linear DNG , Radiance RGBE or better, also with relevant gamut choices ?

Does anyone think it might warrant creating a synthetic (Huffman coded) X3F file with 12bpc values that would simulate the output of a Merrill sensor to evaluate any dispersion in SPP5.3.2 or Sigma is working on the case ?

Also besides using a 12bpc-capable screen with 8K resolution, it seems to me that a discrete RGB or RGBW pixel-based screen might not be optimal for a Foveon-based sensor. I rather converge RGB into one dot in the output, like it's done in the input, rather than spreading a color accurate dot into some form of triad.

On the other hand, I would see in all fairness that one would need RGGB screens to see RGGB Bayer-based pictures and RGBW screens to see RGBW Bayer-based pictures, requiring less  compensation and also to try to keep up with Foveon.

Chris

Hi Chris

i have read this post 10 times - and i basically  understand the individual statements you present.  But i miss your point.

Could you please, in a few words, point out what you want to say with the post above?  I am sure that we all could benefit from it!

-- hide signature --

/Henrik - Denmark
(SD14 and SD15 ... and about 5 kg glass)

motomanDK's gear list:motomanDK's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow