Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
Re: D800 firmware update to fix green cast issue
In reply to Robin Casady, Oct 14, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

ajm267 wrote:

Is there anyone out there that has also heard that there is possibly a new firmware update for the D800 to fix the green cast issue and it could be with us very shortly.

What green cast?

I was skeptical about this, too.  But now I am not so sure.

When I got my D800, I read the "green cast" complaints, and did my own test.  I shot the same scene (jjust some stuff on my desk, illuminated by a 3500K Solux) using D700 and D800, both set for Auto WB.  Then I photographed their monitor screens with an iPhone 4S.

D700 on left, D800 on right.

When I first posted the shots to this forum, I said that the color balance of the D800 screen actually looked closer to what I was seeing with my eyes.  Note that I was comparing both screens to the scene right in front of me.  No long term visual memory required.  So, after that test, I was a believer that the green cast complaints were unjustified, or, at least, overblown.

Now skip to last week, when I was shooting fall foliage in the North Cascades with a D800E (not the same camera used in the above test).  The scenes included western larches, which show brilliant yellow at this time of year.  They really pop out of the surrounding green foliage.  But on my monitor screen, I could not distinguish them from the other trees.  The screen image did seem to have an overall green cast, or at the very least, a diminished hue discrimination between greens and yellows.  When I loaded the images into ACR, the larches appeared as I saw them.  A few sample images here.

So perhaps this "green cast" depends on camera settings, viewing conditions, or something else.  FYI: I shoot RAW, but with color space set to AdobeRGB, so the in-camera histo is closer to what is going on in the RAW channels.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow