The economics of timelapse on shutter actuations ....

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ClearGlass
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: The economics of timelapse on shutter actuations ....
In reply to nicola, Oct 14, 2012

nicola wrote:

Today I shot lesser than 2 mins worth of videoclip with a sacrifice of 3k clicks.

Why timelapse, as available on the D800, was not implemented in a different way, i.e. activating the sensor rather than using the shutter (not sure if my suggestion is feasible, but it's just a thought)!?!?!?

Since when selling a camera on the second hand market, shutter actuations do influence the selling price, needless to say that today is going to be for me the first and last attempt at timelapse, unless I figure a different way that will not affect the shutter actuations counter....

-- hide signature --

I hear what you're saying. I used to feel the same way about my cameras. But the shutter on the D800 is rated for 200,000 actuations, if I'm not mistaken. That's a heck of a lot. It's the same argument I have, when I think about taking a long road trip in my car. Do I rent a vehicle for 200-bucks or do I enjoy the vehicle I purchased and ride in style. It's a tough call.

The bottom line is A) you're going to lose money on your D800, anyway you slice it B) you probably had a great time taking your timelapse "video." C) There might not be a replacement for the D800, for another 3.5 years, according to Nikon's 4-year'ish product replacement cycle D) shutter actuations are far less important than the condition of the camera.

I sold my D700 with around 50k actuations for $1,850 in July. I owned it for 2 years. Some people took issue with the actuations, others did not. What most people picked up on was the fact that the camera was flawless. I mean it didn't even have a scratch, despite being used professionally (don't ask me how I managed it).

My advice is to use your camera and to learn as much as you can about it, as there is always more one can learn about the camera they're using. When it's time to get rid of it, you may want to sell it, or the value may have diminished to the point where it makes sense to just hold onto it. To make a long story short- my advice is to ignore the shutter count and to enjoy your camera for the reasons you bought it.

Keep the body in good condition, and you won't have any trouble selling it...

ClearGlass's gear list:ClearGlass's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow