Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
mholdef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,742Gear list
Like?
Re: Indoensia Trip Advice
In reply to neoro_blitz, Oct 14, 2012

neoro_blitz wrote:

Bali is a wonderful country.
Its predominantly populated by Hindus in a country which is considered to have one of the highest population of Muslims.

You will notice lots of hindu culture built into their buildings as you travel.

Staying in Malaysia/Singapore, Bali is just a short 3-4hr flight away.
Our usual itinerary, would be something like this:
Kuta (Fly In)
(Please keep some spare Indonesia Rupiah, as there is a Tax you need to pay upon when you fly out)

Kintamani

Hop onto the guide's transport and head straight to Kintamani (further central into the Island)

We will normally spend around 2 days here, hiking up Mt.Batur (an Active volcano) to catch the sunrise- Tips - Travel Light, avoid changing lenses due to dust, protect the camera
and also do some star trail / milky way shooting (you will need to check the moon phase)
We also spent the day time here exploring around Lake Batur.
A note on the food - It wasn't that good, so just bite enough to fill your stomach.
Ubud

A bit more culture stuff over here as well as nearer to the Rice Terrace
If you have not seen rice terraces before, the usual guides will bring you to the tengalalang rice terrace.  Do keep in mind that there are lots of tourist here.
An alternative would be to head to Jatiluweh Rice Terrace, you will come across the occassional tourist, but at times, we were the only ones there.
Took our time to explore the terrace, exploring angles and views
Do have the BabiGuling (please google this) 
Sanur / JImbaran / Kuta
 You will now travel back to Kuta area as Sanur and Jimbaran are nearby.
Sanur has a nice beach to catch the sunrise, while you can catch sunsets at Jimbaran while having seafood by the beach.  Don't worry about the restaurants on the beach, most of them are priced pretty reasonable and the food are pretty decent.

If you would like to walk on beaches, check out Seminyak Beach, an easy landmark is Kudeta.
the sands are nice and fine, and if you're lucky as the Sunsets, the sands retains just the right amount of seawater to give you a nice reflection. 
This shd be do-able in 5-6days.
As you have 2 weeks, you can expand the itinerary as you deem fit
Travelling around Bali is easier if you do it via a Guide.
Do let me know if you need more info - we normally use a guide that brings photographers, so he won't ask Why the need to leave the hotel for the beach at 3am.

Sorry, dont really have access to my flickr, however I can post some pix here if it helps
You can also try search for "bali" in my Photostream

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the great feedback.  I would love to have the contact details of your driver-guide

Feel free to send me a PM.

Mark

-- hide signature --
 mholdef's gear list:mholdef's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow